Most people don't immediately think "vision" when they think of dance, they often don't realize how important it is for a dancer to have good vision, especially for those who compete. It's arguably one of the most important sports when it comes to vision. It is a sport in which skills related to vision are very important, such as precision, balance, and awareness of your surroundings.
What vision skills are important for dance?
- Visualization: Visualizing yourself accomplishing a task can actually make it easier for you to achieve it. Better visualization improves a performer's ability to execute more complicated and daring moves.
- Hand-eye-foot coordination: When dancing, precise control over every movement of the body is essential, and this must be done while moving. A better hand-eye-foot coordination is crucial to seeing improvements in dance overall.
- Vision-balance integration: Balance is an essential element of dance. It may be less apparent, yet vision plays a significant role in balancing. Dancers' ability to maintain balance while performing complex motions will be greatly improved if this skill is improved.
- Visual attention: Being able to remain focused on a visual task despite distractions is one way to demonstrate visual attention. Dancers who perform at a high level must be able to tune out anything else that might be in their field of view, like the judges or audience
- Dynamic visual acuity: The ability to maintain clear vision while moving. It is important for a dancer to keep a clear focus on one's surroundings while performing complex movements at speed.
- Anticipation timing: This is a skill that helps time key movements. This is particularly helpful when a dancer is airborne, and needs to time their landing correctly.
Explore comprehensive care for a sports vision evaluation at our well-established optometry clinic in Hixson, conveniently serving patients from Chattanooga, Cleveland, and Middle Valley.
Call (423) 321-8233
or fill out this form
to make an appointment today.